We tried. We tried so hard.
Who would have thought that we would have perfect weather in October and snow in May? Well, it is Colorado.
Close to 300 players and sponsors have been looking forward to Tuesday for over four months. Just a few days ago, the weather in COS was perfect. By the end of this week, it will be again. But, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday are anything but.
While we had hoped and prayed this late storm would break early, it appears it will not, **so the Director of Golf for The Broadmoor has deemed both courses to be "unplayable" for Tuesday, May 11.**
Our golf committee has interacted with The Broadmoor and convened a necessary conference call, and given our choices we’re pleased to have a great alternative from The Broadmoor! Thus, we have moved our EPIC event to the first available date that The Broadmoor has open, which is Wednesday, October 20.
Some have asked why we can't just "move it to later this week?" Remember that The Broadmoor is the World's Number One Golf Resort, and as such is booked out many months, even years in advance. The biggest reality we faced is that we have both courses for the day, essentially closing the resort to any outside play. Guests come from all other the world to play these courses and The Broadmoor must honor its commitments. Hence, October 20, or 162 days from May 11.
I want to recognize the work of our small but powerful golf committee. Dr. Barb and I are especially grateful to Doug Howe, who endured a major life-impact surgery yet stayed committed and focused on this event, and Jeff Crittenden, World Long Drive Champion, who has no shortage of opportunities for travel, time and committees, and he’s been so faithful to this vital cause of our foundation.
Tuesday was going to be even better than our first event last October 5. Of the 144 players we had that day (Sold-out West Course) 119 of those registered for this event as well, many of them telling us that tournament was the best they had ever seen. We were ready to show you something even better than that. But, we cannot compete with the weather, and playing golf in 32 degrees with wind and snow is not what anyone has signed up for, even though we are trying to save lives.
Some have asked, "Why don't you just cancel the event rather than reschedule five months later? This is a valid question. Two reasons why: First, this would be a tremendous financial burden on the The Becky Baker Foundation. We would stand to lose close to $100,000, and the 500 thermograms and mammograms that those funds would provide to the many Colorado women in need of a free screening. Second, many of our sponsors would also be hurt, and we must protect their investment in our Foundation at all costs.
Just the other day I had a lady approach me and ask if we "provide free screenings." She said her insurance would not pay for a thermogram or a mammogram but that she needed to be checked "Now!" Without asking any medical questions (we strictly follow the HIPAA laws) I scheduled her thermogram on the spot and she went that next day. After a few more tests, she was diagnosed with "stage 2 or 3 breast cancer." (I only know this because she called after to inform me.) The doctors caught it in time, but had she waited a few more months, she would not have survived. This is what we do, and why we worked so hard to present a golf tournament unlike anything you had ever seen or played in so that we can continue to save lives.
Now, we have to wait another few months to show you what we have prepared for that EPIC day. I know we are all discouraged. There seems nothing worse than getting pumped for a big tournament only to have it postponed. It is such a downer.
**However, the choice was not ours. The courses were deemed unplayable and that was that.**
I ask you to be patient and wait just a few more months for what will be an unforgettable day. I promise it will be like nothing you have ever seen, and now we have time to make it even better!
I want to thank all of you, our sponsors and players for your support, patience and understanding. Without you, none of this would be possible.
I will continue to send out updates, bi-weekly until the end of summer, when we will go back to weekly again leading up the our event. I promise you that we will make this a tournament you will never forget! October will be here before we know it!
So, that's it for now. If you have any questions, please feel free to call my cell at (808) 333-4756.
Blessings to you all!
Founder and Executive Director